In Called, Part 1, I shared how going to Africa was yet another leap of faith.
Though the very thought of accepting the invitation made my heart beat nearly out of my chest, I had to still my heart and remember God's faithfulness in times before. Both India and the Dominican Republic fell into my lap in like manner and I can't even imagine where I'd be today had I "pulled a Jonah ."
With India, God enlightened the eyes of my heart and began speaking to me in a way I never knew before. He took me deeper into Himself, and He in me, as He planted the seed "for all the world to know" of His Son. At the time, I had no idea what God was laying before me, but I knew I wanted to follow wherever He would lead me. Some call it adventure, others call it "the wild goose chase"... I just knew I wanted more.
With the Dominican, where do I even begin? My first year homeschooling missionary kids, my second year transitioning to Cups of Cold Water and starting an empower girls' program, and then being brought out to Loma where I've been for the past year... I've witnessed God's movement in ways I can't explain.
But I believe the real reason God brought me to the Dominican Republic was not for a ministry or mission to others, but for Him to bend and break and crush and refine and burn away and carve and mold and transform me for His glory and in preparation for what's still to come... not that this process is ever complete. I have been through trials and testings I would never wish on anyone, yet every single time, I have come up from the wilderness leaning on my Beloved and will continue doing so (Song of Solomon 8:5).
This last year alone, God began revealing to me His heart and purposes behind covenant relationships, specifically how God created marriage between man and wife to reflect Christ's relationship to the Church, and the significance in how we ought "not stir up or awaken love before it pleases" (Song of Solomon 8:4). I've been fascinated by Him in this revelation that seems so simple yet so intricate as Jesus' body broken and His blood poured out was and still is an invitation to drink of the marriage cup as He proposes to a wayward bride.
This video journal by Mike Donehey of Tenth Avenue North still blows my mind as he humorously yet poignantly lays out the significance of what Jesus did at the last supper. You HAVE to watch this.
These last 3 years, God, in His redemptive power, sent me to minister to young girls to reveal the truth of who they are and who they were made to be in Him. This ministry has expanded beyond my expectations to boys, young women, and mothers, too.
Yet through it all, I now understand that my calling has never been to teach children, start up a program, mentor young girls, or preach purity... it has always been to reveal Jesus Christ.
Now, getting back to Africa...
Like Mike Donehey said in his video journal, I figured I've been with Jesus this long... let's see how far this "rabbit hole" goes. God made it very easy and very clear to me that He wanted me on that trip. And, well, my God never acts without a purpose.
As I shared before, God opened my eyes to the simplicity of life and being humbled by the selfless service we received from our Maasai brothers and sisters in Christ. But I knew there was something more God wanted to show me. Something more I was supposed to see.
And then it hit me like a ton of bricks sitting in brother Lucas' living room our last full day there.
Up to that point, we had been doing bible school and spending time with the kids. I made a point of attempting to memorize names... I say attempt because some names are quite interesting and, well, when there's over 100, it can be difficult. But there must be great value in our names if God knows them all (Isaiah 43:1) and it's something that has been placed on my heart to do.
This was our first day together, and as you can see, this little group consisted of all girls.... Toeme, Gracie, Angelina, Napokeke, Magde, and Maria.
Pointing at each girl, I would point back at myself, say my name, and wait for them to give their own before going into a sort of "name game" down the line. One more lesson... though none of us spoke the other's language, God's love is its own and translates all.
Want to take a guess at their ages? Around 8 to 13 years old. It's funny how the Lord does that, especially since this was a pivotal age in my own life. It has been fun sharing with my Dominican girls, who are also between the ages of 8 and 13 years, the similarities and differences between their cultures.
However, there's one that I haven't felt comfortable sharing just yet.
After lunch Thursday afternoon, Pastor Rogers called us all outside, telling us we "had to see this!" We all stepped out onto Lucas' front porch and saw a group of young Maasai boys walking off in the distance with makeshift bow and arrows, fully adorned in Maasai robes, jewelry, and limestone paint.
Pastor Rogers standing with the group of Maasai boys with Lucas and the rest of us on the porch
Upon inviting these young boys over, we discovered that they were on a journey into the "jungle" to meet Maasai elders from whom they would learn their tribe's traditions. If we understood correctly, these boys were all circumcised together on June 20th as part of their rite of passage.
Nothing establishes a brotherhood quite like that. We tried asking which among these boys was the "leader" but no one was willing to own up to it. From what I've researched, the "Olopolosi olkiteng" , or chosen chief of the boys, is a position not desired and considered unfortunate as they shoulder the group's sins. Whether or not this is a belief held by this particular group of boys, I cannot say, but can you imagine what the truth of knowing Jesus could do?
We came back inside and found our seats in Lucas' living room. Having just learned of the rites of passage for young Maasai men, I was curious and nervous to learn the rites of passage in place for my new friends Toeme, Gracie, Angelina, Napokeke, Magde, and Maria.

What I learned broke my heart. In like manner, according to Masai tradition and as early as 10 years of age, girls are circumcised to ensure their satisfaction in marriage is found only in serving and caring for their family. Although female genital mutilation is illegal in Tanzania, it is unfortunately still practiced among many in the Maasai tribe and Muslim religion.
I can't even begin to explain the emotions that were swelling inside me upon hearing this. I was indignant, sad, confused, upset, but at the same time holding it all in out of respect for the culture.
Pastor Rogers went on to explain that girls are often given into arranged marriage before even leaving their mother’s womb… and to men as old as 50 years their senior. The practice of having multiple wives is not uncommon to Maasai culture, which I also learned is one of the biggest struggles the church faces there.
"So, when is the marriage consummated and becomes official?" I was having a hard time formulating my words at this point.
"Often times, the girls are sent to be raised in the home of their husbands while they are still young."
"What I think Lauren is asking is when do they become physically intimate?" Doug more pointedly asked my question as words were getting lost in translation.
"Well," Pastor Rogers took a few seconds to pause and find right the words, "You remember the young lady we met yesterday? She is 19 years old and has 4 children. I can't say an exact age, but you can guess."
Pastor Rogers with the young woman, fellow wives, and their children
At this point in the conversation I'm trying to inconspicuously wipe tears from my eyes, attempting not to lose it in front of everyone. I couldn't stop thinking of the girls in the village and wondering whom among them have been circumcised and pledged in marriage already.
What does one do with this sort of information? You want to help, you want to do something, but is there really anything we can do? Even if God called us to do something, tradition is a hard thing to break. Besides, their traditions and customs have worked for them thus far.
My mind starts reeling... what do you say to the men with 4 wives who recently accepted Jesus? Do you counsel them to choose one wife and discard the others? The women would be shamed if they are cast off, having no other means of provision. I then start thinking how horrible it would be to suddenly be denied physical affection from one's spouse, but then again, after having undergone female genital mutilation, it might actually be a relief.
As I process and judge these traditions according to God's word, I'm immediately frustrated and torn...
As I mentioned before, God has so beautifully revealed to me in detail His design for marriage this past year, strengthening and fueling my resolve to wait until marriage. And there is a reason for that. But then I think... what about all the great kings and men in the bible who took more than one wife in addition to many concubines, not the least of whom being King David, a man after God's heart. How do you begin reconciling that?
And look at Mary, the mother of Jesus. Most scholars say she was probably somewhere between 12 and 14 years of age. She and Joseph did eventually consummate their marriage to one another after Jesus was born. If this age was appointed by God back then, is it any more wrong today?
In my humanness, I want to right what I perceive to be wrong, but I know there is no easy solution. The roots to these customs run generations deep and who are we to judge?
When my brain succumbs to the confusion of it all, I know the only answer is Jesus.
I find myself being reminded of the story of the woman at the well in John 4. Jesus, a Jewish man, asks a Samaritan woman for water... He's already crossing religious and social barriers in doing so. He then offers her living water, to which confuses her as He had nothing to draw this water from...
"Jesus said to her, 'Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.' The woman said to him, 'Sir, give me this water, so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water.'
"Jesus said to her, 'Go, call your husband, and come here.' The woman answered Him, 'I have no husband.' Jesus said to her, 'You are right in saying, "I have no husband'; for you have had five husbands, and the one you now have is not your husband. what you have said is true.'"
Ouch. Talk about being called out.
Though this woman had never been legally married, she had been married to 5 different men in God's eyes as the result of becoming "one flesh" with them. Essentially, she has desecrated a sacred covenant. Is this really any different than what is happening in America, the Dominican, Tanzania, or any other parts of the world?
Did Jesus shame her and cast her out for this? No.
Knowing who she was and with whom she had relations, Jesus still offered and revealed Himself to her as the Anointed One. It didn't matter what she did before, but what mattered was if she would partake of this living water. And she did.
"Many Samaritans from that town believed in Him because of the woman's testimony, 'He told me all that I ever did.' So when the Samaritans came to Him, they asked Him to stay with them, and He stayed there two days. And many more believed because of His word. They said to the woman, 'It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this is indeed the Savior of the world."
Where am I getting at with this?
The problems of this world are not ours to fix.
God has only called us to reveal His Son Jesus Christ to a world that so desperately needs Him.
My heart still aches and grieves for these beautiful girls in Tanzania, but before I left I could hear the voice of my Lord saying,
“Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.”
Isaiah 43:19
Through the faithfulness of supporters to B2BU Ministries, Inc., the second building of Tumaini School is being completed. Tumaini, in Swahali, means “hope” and there is not another word more poignant to describe the impact this school is already having on this community… and it has only just begun.
The first school building nearly complete
The second building in progress
As a teacher, I have witnessed firsthand the impact a godly education can have on a child’s self-worth and confidence, and I can only imagine the plans God has to restore hope and transform lives for His glory in the fulfillment of Tumaini school vision.
I went for a week, but a piece of my heart will stay forever. My God has yet to fail me in proving He is able to do far more abundantly than all we can ask or ever imagine…
You can read more about Maasai customs and traditions at www.maasai-association.org/ceremonies.html








No comments:
Post a Comment