Monday, September 14, 2015

Princesitas, Escuderos, y Chivos... Oh My!

For the first time ever in Footprints in the Sand history, I have a guest blogger! I figured it might be enjoyable to read about my family's long awaited visit in August through my father's eyes.  So bear with me... I inherited my sense of humor from him...


~

Hola!  I’m Lauren’s father, Mike Ferguson, and I was asked to “guest blog” regarding our recent trip to La Republica Dominicana.

Having only visited Lauren once before during her first year there in 2012, we were long overdue for a visit, as she was ever vigilant in pointing out.  That first visit was an emotional roller coaster – I was unprepared for and saddened by some of the more raw elements we saw up close (crushing poverty, prostitution, etc), and quite frankly, I was worried about Lauren’s safety.  Driving a rental in the traffic craziness was just added stress.  And to wrap that trip up, I caused us to miss the window to check bags on our return flight, resulting in an unplanned extra night’s stay.  Whoopsie!

Suffice to say, 3 years later, our return visit was a different tale.

Lauren met us in Santiago on arrival and “chauffeured” us throughout the visit in her 13 year old Jeep (which is in remarkably good shape!), so I was able to take in the sights as we traveled. She chaperoned our visit to ensure we were not overwhelmed at any point – and she had inherited some much appreciated oscillating fans that made sleeping without A/C in August quite pleasant.  Plus, we intentionally and deliberately built in “fun” activities- visits to the beach, a father/daughter SCUBA dive, and a side trip to “Monkey Jungle” where we communed with the squirrel monkey population. I even worked in a day of golf alongside the ocean – and I rarely even play golf in Florida anymore.


Golfing on the beautiful north coast with an old friend


Lauren is in the middle with the green fins and I'm to the left of her




















     Haven't you always wanted a monkey?!                  Sister Kathryn and Mom Brenda with the monkeys


We were also excited to meet Lauren’s “fur-babies” and protectors, Lucas and Princesita. While quite protective of Lauren and very wary of strangers, both of them immediately took to us like old buddies.  While they are both definitely true “Dominican Dogs" (roam freely and do what they want when they want where they want) they clearly respect Lauren as their “Alpha” and respect the boundaries set... more or lessThey aren’t allowed in her current house and both will sit right at the doorway, but on several occasions we found Princesita sitting on the rug just inside of the door, or sticking her head through the screen to test the limits.






Tia Kathryn with her perro niece and nephew                                             Princesita doing her thing.  



Princesita “checking in”


But one of the things we most wanted to experience was the village where Lauren has spent the preceding 13 months working with the young girls and boys.  As you know as a reader of this blog, she was led by God to the village, as well as the books The Princess and the Kiss and The Squire and the Scroll (both translated in Spanish), as a tool to not only help the young girls of the village see a different path and choices for their lives but also help the young boys understand important choices in their own lives.  They were abundantly blessed with a visit from the author Jennie Bishop for a “Royal Ceremony” to mark the end of the story.  So we were quite excited to meet the princesitas (princesses) and escuderos (squires/shield bearers) of Loma de los Chivos (The Hill of the Goats).



Lauren with some of the kids of Loma de los Chivos where we all met.


Lauren informed the girls we would visit on Saturday around 4pm.  Upon our arrival, it was quite apparent they had “prepared the way” and were excited to meet her mother, sister, and father.  I was tickled to hear that when asked by one of the young boys prior to our visit how she planned to introduce us, Lauren told him we would go casa to casa.  He strongly objected, saying that, as her father, I was important, and if another important person -like, say, Barak Obama-visited the village, he would not go door to door, but rather, everyone in the village would come out to meet him.

We parked outside the village as is Lauren’s practice, and before we were out of the car, girls began to assemble.  They had clearly put on their best in order to make a good impression and were excited to see Lauren.  As we walked into the village, our entourage grew as we stopped and said “Hola” to the adults sitting outside their homes.

I was shocked when we reached the location where Lauren has read to the children as there was a large gathering of girls and boys waiting for us.  Lauren introduced us to everyone assembled, and we were directed to prime seating befitting “The POTUS & First Family.”  The children introduced themselves, with the older kids introducing their younger brothers and sisters who were too intimidated to speak.  And then the prepared program began!

There were songs, stories, skits, and dances performed for us.  We heard (in Spanish) how much they love and respect Lauren, and I was thanked for allowing Lauren to be there.  Lauren had just shared with the girls days before that she would be leaving in the next couple of months, so there was some pleading with me not to make her come home to the US – but Lauren explained that our trip was not connected to her decision to leave, and I was not there to take her home.  I’m not sure all the kids believed that, but we assured them that was the truth.

And then they asked us to tell stories about Lauren growing up.  After a few stories about a sledding accident, a spray gun mishap,  and having to pull the car over for a spanking, I secured Lauren’s OK to share about her birth.

Now, I’ve never been able to share the story of her birth with a dry eye, but I swallowed hard and began.   As simply as I could explain, with Lauren translating, I shared that when she was inside her mother we were told there was a problem, and she needed to be taken out early through surgery.  When she was born, we discovered there was a true knot in her umbilical cord that prevented her from receiving nutrients and oxygen, and the doctors told me I should prepare to say goodbye to her.  They did not believe there was much of a chance she would live.




I was heartbroken, and as I sat by her incubator in tears, I prayed to God for strength.  I told Him that if it was His will that she should live, she would be His.  She then proceeded to get stronger and did better each day.  When she was released from the hospital, the nurses told us a miracle had occurred as they did not believe she would survive.  Her doctor then told us that he could not explain her recovery medically – he actually gave us a copy of her lab work at birth and pointed out that the results were simply incompatible with life.  The only explanation he could offer was that we had experienced a miracle and that God’s hand was on this child. (He also told us that in spite of this miracle, we still needed to raise her with a strong hand and discipline her as needed – and boywas that ever prophetic!)




I’m not sure the story adequately translated, but I know they saw the tears in my eyes as I retold it, and all who were there listening knew it came from my heart.

When all stories were told, prayers were said, and much hugging occurred, we retraced our steps back with an even larger entourage in tow.  As we reached Lauren’s car, an attempt was made by some of the older girls to hold Kathryn hostage in exchange for Lauren to stay, but through prolonged and skilled negotiations, we secured her release.  It was good to see the positive impact Lauren has had on not only the young girls and boys of Loma de los Chivos, but also the mothers who came out to meet us and share their thanks and well wishes.

On Sunday we attended church services at Oceanside Christian Fellowship, which is held at Ocean Village in outdoor shelter on the edge of the beach, looking out at the prettiest shades of blue in the ocean.  I kept hearing the words to “How Great Thou Art” running through my head as I looked at His handiwork on display.  Better than any stained glass man has ever created!



Our view from Oceanside Church services


Oh yeah, I should probably mention that we brought back a little of the Dominican with us...

Lauren, Kathryn, and Brenda conspired on the adoption of “Lulu,” a sweet beagle mix in need of a home.  Very well socialized and generally calm (she does get excited a dinnertime!), we were able to carry her on the plane and fly her under the seat in front of Kathryn.  And we had much help to ensure all paperwork was in order, as well as getting us to the Santiago airport to negotiate the hoops to allow her to leave the country.  The US Customs agent was befuddled that we would adopt and bring back a Dominican dog. When the agent asked for an explanation, I just pointed to Kathryn, who was beaming brightly, and she waved us through.



Zoe, our miniature dachshund, continues to try to remind Lulu who came first, but they seem to be tolerating and even enjoying each other at times.  Like all true sisters do!

In closing, speaking of los chivos, I would be remiss if I did not share we took a day trip over the mountains to Tamboril, and were directed to a highly recommended local open-air restaurant.  And the special that day?  Why, Dominican Chivos, of course!  I wasn’t really sure what to expect, but we went with the flow and found the dish to be muy delicioso... No “kidding!



2 comments:

  1. Many wondrous things can be seen on Dominican Motos... A family of 6 - no problemo. A washing machine - why sure! Large propane tanks balanced on the back everywhere. A driver dragging several lengths of 20' PVC pipe behind him (we speculated they were 20' on arrival. Sometimes you can even see the lunch special being delivered! - Mike Ferguson

    ReplyDelete