Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Singapore: Piece by Piece


Filing in behind others in the immigration line at the Changi airport in Singapore, my heart began to race as anxiety surmounted within me.

"My daughter, did I not say this time is not like the others?"

The Lord's smooth, calm voice came in a gentle whisper to my fearful soul.  In all my travels, I've had to emotionally, physically, and spiritually prepare and guard myself from those who seek to steal or prevent me from exiting customs without paying a price.  International immigration has never, by any means, been "safe" for me.


But this time... this time was going to be different.



Even before this adventure began, the Lord ministered to both my aunt and I that this trip would be unlike any other we had ever experienced.  As one of the "Four Asian Tigers," Singapore has done extremely well for itself economically in the young 52 years it has been a city-state.  We were not traveling to an impoverished nation in the world's eyes.  I certainly couldn't afford the stay, let alone live there on my bank account... yet, where God sends, God provides.

The Lord was very stern with my aunt on this particular issue as she was told that He would provide for all our financial needs. If the Lord spoke this to her, I knew He would do it.  I pictured Him putting people in front of us with a "pentecostal handshake" on the streets of Singapore or praying in our hotel room and dollar bills appearing in our pockets (strange, yes, but it's all happened before!) ... I recalled stories of missionaries past who were instructed by the Lord to stand in line for a train ticket with not a penny to their name and then moments before they reached the kiosk, an individual would turn to them and give the exact amount they needed. 

Nothing is impossible with God, and I knew if He was calling us, He would do it.

Sure enough, literally TWO DAYS before I flew out to Texas, my aunt called to say how the Lord impressed upon her that breakthrough was coming.  She didn't know from where or from whom, but the Lord assured her that our needs would be supplied.  She had purchased the airline tickets and booked the first couple nights in faith from her own savings several weeks prior, trusting and believing God would honor this act of faith and obedience.  That very morning, through the generosity of others, the Lord provided enough to cover our airfare and our entire stay in Singapore!


I arrived in south Texas Saturday, August 19th and joined my aunt at her church the following day. To our surprise, immediately following worship, the entire service was dedicated to our commissioning and praying us out to do the Father's will. Never in my life have I had a church pray for me as these brothers and sisters did.  They anointed our hands and feet with oil, prayed God's word over us, and stood in faith as we all prayed in the Spirit for what was to come.  Our brothers and sisters at Christian Faith Center in Dilley, TX also took up a generous offering which supplied all our food and ground transportation expenses while in Singapore.  I'm telling you, God did not spare one penny in providing for His daughters!



As if that wasn’t enough, while we were being prayed over, I had this vision of a ladder. I asked the Lord what this meant and Jesus' words to Nathaniel came to me as I pressed in for understanding, 

"Very, truly I tell you, you will see 'heaven open and the angels of God ascending and descending on' the Son of Man" (John 1:51). 


In this part of scripture, Jesus was referencing Jacob's vision while in the wilderness where the angels ascended and descended under an open heaven (Genesis 28:12).  Essentially,  I sensed the Lord was assuring us that we were walking under an open heaven in His power and authority for His glory! 





The following day, we hopped on a plane to San Francisco.  Having never been to California, my aunt and I decided to take a day exploring the city before flying 16 hours to Singapore.










On this brief layover, my heart hurt for San Francisco and for the broken, lost, and confused there.  Walking and driving through certain parts of the city, the oppression was so tangibly thick, it made my stomach churn.  Homelessness, drug addictions, prostitution, new-age worldliness...  I had this sense that God has been rejected time and again in this city, but He's not one to stop pursuing. In His loving kindness and mercy, the Lord was showing me how desperately the sheep of this pasture need the Good Shepherd of their souls, as well.

Yet, San Francisco was not where He had sent us.  Wednesday, August 23rd, we said goodbye to our beautiful United States of America, flew over the Pacific Ocean, and landed Thursday evening, August 24th.  

When we arrived in Singapore, my instinct to guard myself from harm was strong.  But again, the Lord assured me this was a completely different experience, nothing to fear in the physical realm.


Hungry Ghost offering


So, get this… from August 21st-September 19th the Buddhist/Taoist observance of the Hungry Ghost Festival was taking place... coincidence that we were there over the exact same time frame?  I think not.  Originating from Chinese folk religion, this is when the gates of hell are willfully opened over the land and the deceased roam in search for food and entertainment.  To appease these "hungry ghosts," ritualistic food and gift offerings, accompanied with burning incense and joss paper, are set out on street altars.  Street performances called "getai" are held and the front row of red seats at these events are reserved for these guests of honor... needless to say, it would be extremely bad luck to sit in these seats.

A bit blurry, but one getai performance we walked past towards the end of our trip



Is not God so wonderful in all His ways? He knew He was sending us to a land where the gates of hell had been opened, yet even so, we were walking under the anointing, power, and authority of an open heaven! We had His words in our heart, His fire in our bones, and His Spirit abiding in us. Greater is He who is in us than he who is in the world! (1John 4:4)

Nomads. We didn't know where we were to go, who we would meet, nor what words He would place in our mouths, the only thing we knew was that He would do it. Remember God's words to my Aunt Phyllis just months before?

"Prepare for Singapore.  Nomads in Singapore, praying and doing My bidding.  See what you are doing here- getting My will and way for people there. You've seen yourself doing this, you just think it's impossible.  Did I not say I would send you around the world for one person?... Your concept and My concept of ministry is not always the same.  Lauren understands this concept more than you.  She has done this and was doing this in Europe..."

Bear with me… I have labored over this blog more than any other I’ve ever written.  There are so many pieces to this puzzle.  Thing is, I still don’t think we have them all!  However, what pieces did we have before we left?

When deciding where to stay, with our limited knowledge on the lay of the land, my aunt had heard about two locations- Sentosa island and Orchard Road. With those two names, we began praying and Orchard Road kept returning to us.  Even though, in reality, it is a high-profile downtown shopping district, the thought of trees yielding fruit flooded my mind with “Orchard.” I was a little concerned that this buzzing atmosphere might be too active for us introverts, but then I came upon this sign the following day and took it as speedy confirmation! My aunt got right to booking our first nights.



One day while dog sitting this summer, a few weeks before the trip, I brought in the daily newspaper.  As I picked up the plastic sleeve, I noticed the paper inside was wet.  It hadn’t rained nor was there any reason for this. I was quite perturbed as I removed the sopping paper and began separating the damp sheets, laying them out on the kitchen table to dry.  That’s when I saw it…

In big letters across the wilted Orlando Sentinel read “Singapore aghast over a family feud”...



Did God just pull a Gideon on me?  I did a double take and immediately sat down to read the contents.  I don’t normally read the newspaper on any given day, but perhaps the Lord saw fit to make this one damp so that I WOULD read it.  Honestly! The story discussed the late prime minister’s estate and the family’s feud over whether to open the home to the public as a museum or honor their deceased father’s wish to tear down the property. In the first line of the article was the street address of this “notorious” home. 

For kicks, I pulled up Google maps and decided to look up the late prime minister’s estate location in relation to our recently booked hotel address on Orchard Road …





WHAT?!… COME ON! We knew we would be making this short mile walk to at least pray for peace for the family and whatever else the Lord may direct us in.

And THEN, just 3 weeks before our departure, my friend Jennie Bishop of PurityWorks informed me of a recent email correspondence she had with a gentleman in Singapore... really, does that surprise anyone?  He inquired of how to procure a princess charm for his daughter who is reading The Princes and the Kiss book with the accompanying 24 life lessons book published by Revive Our Hearts.  Their church's bookstore sells these books but not the charms, and he desired to gift his princess with a charm to mark this beautiful journey she's made in giving her heart to Jesus. 

How beautiful! 

I told Jennie I would be MORE than happy to personally deliver this charm, if the Lord permitted.  So, with this one email contact, I sent a message to see how we could meet up. He replied quickly with an invitation to his church's annual carnival outreach... which just so happened to be on Saturday, just two days after we arrived.

And that, friends, take us to the beginning of this nomadic journey in Singapore.  After a day of rest and prayer to get our bearings, we got up Saturday morning to catch a taxi to Queenstown Baptist Church to meet our first and only contact.

Two white females sure do stick out like a sore thumb, as if being 6ft tall wasn’t enough reason! We were eagerly greeted and handed welcome gift bags with detoxifying foot patches.  I explained how we were invited by a brother in the Chinese worshipping community named Yee Long and they sent a fellow sister to look for him.  We didn’t know what Yee looked like nor from where he would come, but soon enough, the sweetest gentleman approached us.  Mr. Long showed us the warmest of hospitality in ushering us around to try the various cultural foods present.



There was quite a crowd! This event is held once a year to invite the high rise communities of Queenstown, a zoned area within Singapore, to enjoy fellowship, free food, entertainment, and receive an invitation to church the following Sunday and/or an Alpha class.   Through discussion with Mr. Long and one of the pastors of the English worshipping community, we began learning a bit more about Singaporean culture and discovered that this pastor spent a few years studying in Texas! It truly is a small world.

Before leaving, I gave Mr. Long the princess charm from Jennie and shared a bit of what the Lord did with her books in the Dominican Republic. His daughter was surprised that I not only knew the author, but that Jennie was actually my friend!  She even brought two friends over, who also love Jennie’s book, to meet me!


Yee with his eldest princess

We were asked, “Do you have a place to worship tomorrow? You are more than welcome to join us!” My aunt and I had not received any further instruction from the Lord so we accepted Yee’s invitation and came to church Sunday morning.  What beautiful worship it was! There is something so sacred about worshipping our Father in a new land with fellow brothers and sisters you previously had never met.



God certainly had a hand in where we sat.  Before service began, a lovely woman came to sit next to us of whom we learned works with Hudson Taylor’s Overseas Mission Fellowship (OMF) and is originally from New Zealand.  We spent time after service sharing a bit and praying with one another.  Crazy thing, The Lord laid her so strongly on my heart as I, too, know the difficulties, heartaches, and trials of serving in a foreign country as a single missionary.  However, between needing to use the restroom and filing out of the sanctuary, we parted ways before we could exchange contact information.

The Global Baptist Response directors over Asia happened to have been sitting just behind us during church.  We were introduced to this couple after church and learned that they, like my Aunt Phyllis, served in the Philippines AND are originally from Texas. One thing led to another and this wonderful couple offered to walk with us to the MRT station and get us squared away with a card and map.  We were free to explore all of Singapore!




MRT? Piece of cake! 

On this short walk, we discovered that it is against the law in Singapore to proselytize (share one’s religious beliefs with the intent to convert).  The country prides itself in the acceptance and respect of individuals, their beliefs, and encouraging the sharing of such.  They went on to share how the late prime minister brought strict laws (some of which my aunt and I had learned before coming… such as you can be fined for not flushing the toilet, chewing gum, singing in public, etc.) which brought order, respect, and fear in many aspects. There was no tolerance for hate or violence of any kind, and so acceptance of all backgrounds and beliefs was established. While it is illegal to evangelize, we were encouraged to sit at tables with others at “hawker” centres and strike up conversations, inquiring about others’ faiths and, in turn, we would be invited to share our own. 


Newton Hawker stands

Are you still with me? Can you believe this is all happened leading up to the first 3 days of being in Singapore? We were already learning so much, what more did the Lord have the next 4 weeks?

What did God speak to my aunt during worship our first Sunday that would lead us across town the next week?

Would we ever reconnect with our new acquaintance from New Zealand?

Where all would we go?

Just how different would this trip be than all the rest?

Stay tuned! I'm sure you need a breather just as much as I do… 


2 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the next instalment and I know some of what is coming! makes me excited all over again.

    ReplyDelete