Saturday, July 30, 2016

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Last year I dreamed of Africa.  That dream has once again led me on a wild chase after the Lover of my soul into uncharted waters... or rather, over them and onto desert roads.




The month of April arrived quickly this year and a decision had to be made.

"Well, Lauren... Are you going back to Tanzania this summer?"

I'll be the first to admit I was anything but quick to reply.

Why? Tanzania is beautiful, the people are amazing, and God is certainly moving in power there... why wouldn't I return?

You see, I've been down this proverbial road before. Who knows where God is leading me now.

I also didn't want to assume I was to return just because He sent me last year... at the same time, I sensed I owed it to B2BU Ministries, I owed it to myself, and I owed it to God to see if there really was something more He had for me to see or do for His Kingdom there.

"Well, are you going to Tanzania?"

My feet were dragging as I continued waiting for a word from God.  "Should I stay or should I go?"

When He didn't respond, I weighed my options, and I had nothing to lose.

Once more, I said, "Let's do this."

I flew out of Orlando dark and early May 31 to meet up with part of our team in Philadelphia.  We boarded our Qatar Airways flight and buckled in for 13 hours of chasing daylight.  International travel can really mess with your internal clock!

They flew from NC to Philly before me!


Qatar selfie sticks... nah, we didn't stand out at all

We landed in Qatar only to board yet another flight to Zanzibar and then Mt. Kilamanjaro, arriving in Tanzania around 4pm on June 1st.  After retrieving our bags we made our way to our bus where we settled in for a good 2 hour ride out into the desert.  Only this time we actually got to see Mt. Kilamanjaro through the clouds!


 We got out to take pictures... never know if we'd see the mountain again!



The sun was setting and dusk was upon us as we drove to Kiruani.  After passing through TPC sugar plantation where we'd be returning for several nights of crusades later that week, we came to the desert road.

This road is not paved and certainly off the beaten path, as you saw above.  30 minutes later on this bumpy road, we arrived safely at brother Lucas' home.  We were welcomed by candle light and received with open arms as dinner of spaghetti noodles, goat stew, white rice, cooked cabbage, french fries, and a tray of freshly cut fruit awaited us.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I sure did sleep well that night! We awoke the next day to breakfast of fruit, bread, tea, and coffee.  Again, the hospitality of our brothers and sisters in Christ in Kiruani trumps any I've seen in all my travels.


 Have you ever known a person to give up his home to foreigners for a week?  Women waking before dawn to walk a mile and a half round trip to draw and retrieve water, and then heat it over a wood burning fire for those on the team who want to bathe?  Not to mention, preparing meals morning, noon, and evening for people you've barely met?




That is love.

How poignant for God's word for me this year to spring up in every smile, every act of kindness, and every voice of worship to our King.  I have only to open my eyes.

As we did last year, our team collectively combined music, bible stories, crafts, and games for 3 days of bible school in the desert in the morning and at a church on the TPC Sugar Plantation in the afternoon.  Instead of puppet Noah, this year Freddie brought John... John the Baptist, that is.

Camel hair, locusts, beedy puppet eyes, and all.  It became slightly amusing by the third day when the team knew which kids would shriek in horror at the arrival of John... at least the rest of the kids were thrilled to be greeted by his exuberant "JAMBO!"


Freddie and Sarah with "John" and Camilla, our vibrant headmistress and translator


Sarah, "John", Freddie, and Pastor Rogers

 Relay races to get "goldfish" and "bread loaves" in the baskets


A failed game of charades for the creation story... at least this shy group of kids remembered the days! 

Creation story crafts


Coloring sheets galore

"Amani! Amani! Tulia!... Peace! Peace! Be Still!"
This is what the kids shouted to calm the raging parachute sea... can you see our disciples' boat?


Going through the 7 days of Creation again


 Our last day of VBS in the desert


Do you remember my friend Tumaini from last year? She's maturing into a beautiful young woman who is an embodiment of her name, which in Swahili means Hope.   It was a joy to see her again and to learn she is now a member of the Massai church's choir.  


2015                                                                                   2016   


And that's only a snapshot of our time with the kids that first week.  In the evenings, we joined Pastor Doug as he delivered powerful messages of salvation at the TPC Sugar Plantation crusades.


The Massai women from the church in Kiruani singing praises... Tumaini is on the right!


Pastor Doug with the children... he had them at "a bag of pi-pi"... translation- "a bag of candy"


Pastor Doug with Pastor Abraham


The very first night of the crusades, I felt someone tap my shoulder and I turned around to see my friend Faith whom I met last year.  What a blessing to be reconnected! 


Tumaini school's new headmistress, Camilla, with Pastor Doug at the crusades... thirsty much?


Before leaving Kiruani, we were blessed to blessed the new headmistress and the school with items that were collected from generous brothers and sisters back in the states.


Friends at Myrtle Lake Baptist Church in Florida donated 2 dozen soccer balls and a dozen Upward kids shirts!


 The school continues to grow!



 Saying goodbye is never easy.



And that was just the first week!  We loaded up and headed a couple hours east to Himo where Pastor Doug was invited to speak at a 3 day church conference.

What about the rest of the team?  Pastor Rogers, our Tanzanian guide and liaison, arranged for us to spend time in a children's home in Rombo, the mountain region bordering Kenya.

The second week of the trip held many unknowns. None of us had been to Himo before.  In fact, it was one of those last minute, off-the-cuff, "if Pastor Doug is staying out in Himo, the team shouldn't be separated... let's go with" decisions.

In other words, life on the mission field. You go with the flow.  More often than not, it's the flow of the Holy Spirit and you don't want to miss it.

Something we hadn't prepared for before arriving in Tanzania was our visit to this particular children's home.  Would we have enough supplies? How would we tailor the lessons for our new audience? There's nothing like collaborating, improvising, and rearranging supplies with fellow team members to test your character and draw you closer!

The children's home we would be visiting is for children with mental and physical disabilities.  We learned that in the northern region of Tanzania, children with disabilities or abnormalities are often hidden away their whole lives. There is even practice of using these children, and albinos specifically, as sacrificial offerings in ceremonial witchcraft for political prosperity.

However, one brave man obeyed the prompting of the Holy Spirit and began a school where the "untouchable" children of the region could receive the loving and accepting touch of their Savior.

 We had no idea what to expect.  We decided not to bring "John" but to invite "Freddie the Fish" instead, as not to scare the kids. Grateful for the surplus of coloring sheets and crayons we still had, we were anxious to see what the Lord had in store.

The moment we stepped foot on the property, we knew God had a special place in His heart for these kids.  If only we were able to spend more than 3 days together! What a joy it was to my soul to sing praises, color, and listen to the telling of God's word with these beautiful children.


 Our first day together... they didn't know what to expect either! The gentleman standing is the founder and director of the school.



Meet "Freddie the Fish"








I could just hear the voice of Jesus rebuking the disciples and calling the children to Himself once more.  Never have I experienced a more tangible atmosphere of God's love than on that Tanzanian mountainside.

One of the most beautiful moments we witnessed was when one of the leaders, after seeing us hand coloring sheets and crayons through the fence to the village kids, invited anyone and everyone to come inside their gates to take part in our bible school, too.




I saw children who are no longer afraid or ashamed of who they are.  It didn't matter if these kids looked different or walked differently than the rest. These children are secure and are being raised with a confidence of knowing who they are in Christ Jesus... loved, accepted, and more than conquerors!


An impromptu game of sitting volleyball with the kids who won the country's disabled tournament

They brought out their trophy for us to see!


Our team with the leaders of this awesome ministry

 Our final day together


Those three days were perhaps my favorite.  After we spent the mornings in the mountain, we would come back down for lunch at our dorms and rest before heading out to the conference.


A typical lunch... or is that dinner? Wait... both! We ate the same meal everyday


Once again, we didn't really know what to expect for the conference. Upon arrival, we were ushered into the pastor's office where we waited until the congregation was ready to receive us.  This could be out of respect for the visiting guests or perhaps for the church to welcome the Holy Spirit in worship before we arrived... not sure, but again, you just go with it!

Pastor Doug delivered a message series on prayer that was edifying.  It convicted and stirred in us all a desire to know our Savior more, to trust in His promises, and to call on His Name in faith. 








Praise and worship would erupt at this church! At the end of one of the evenings, a bunch of us jumped up to dance and praise Jesus.  When He is present, you just can't help yourself!

Are you tired yet? I'm exhausted just recounting it all!  Hang in there, we're almost done!

After our stay in Himo, we had a travel day to our next destination in Boma, which is much closer to the airport and where we've stayed in visits past.  We visited the cities of Arusha and Moshi and had a surprise excursion awaiting us the last full day.

We were told to be ready by 7 am our last Saturday because we would be touring Arusha National Park. Last year we hiked 10 kilometers up and down Mt Kilamanjaro... again, I wasn't quite sure what we were getting ourselves into this year.

As we were driving to the National Park, we asked our driver..."So, what are we going to do exactly today? Like, are we going to see giraffes or something?"... we were seriously joking.  None of us imagined we were about to go on a safari.

Let me show you...

So stinkin' cool! Only one thing...


It was raining and I was seated in the back when they lifted the cover.


Water Buffalo and Zebra

 Do you see pumba?

 Giraffe

 For real. We saw a rare python on the side of the park road.

 My buddy Serena! Or was it Selena? Ask Freddie.

We strolled along this stream opposite of sitting buffalo and warthogs


The first few times we ran into a barrel of monkeys it was awesome... after that, we just wanted them to get off the road!



 Our tour guide playing "who pooped it?"... Answer? Giraffe.





The team in front of Tulalusia Falls


NO WAY!  It was pretty much the icing on the cake.

But it wasn't over quite yet.  The next day we were told to be ready to leave by 6:30am for church.  We arrived at 7am, church started at 7:30 am, and we didn't stop till 1pm... ya"ll, that's 6 hours of church!  Once again it was a moving time of worship and words from the Lord.





 A quick snack and tea between services


 

When our ride finally came to pick us up, we drove back to our place, packed up our belongings, and headed to the airport to make our flight out at 5pm.


Internet! Waiting for a our flight to Qatar from Mt. Kilamanjaro 

  Half of our team waiting for our second flight to Philly from Qatar


A handful of movies, a stomach full of airline food, and 30 some odd hours later, we finally landed safely on U.S. soil!

So, I know what you're thinking.  "What's the verdict? Did God reveal anything to you this trip?"

Should I stay or should I go?

Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment