Wednesday, April 29, 2015

A Royal Ball, Yellow Shoes, and a New Song

"Laurena, I don't think I can go to the princess party tomorrow..." Julenny said as she came up to greet Jennie Bishop and I the Friday before the long-awaited and highly-anticipated royal celebration.

"Oh, no! Why not?" I asked concernedly.

"Because I don't have any shoes to wear." 

Julenny couldn't imagine coming to a royal ball without the proper shoes to match.

When I explained this princesa's concern to Jennie, she asked if we might be able to find her some shoes for the event.  I tend to stay away from buying things for the kids as I don't want to usurp the parents' role as providers nor do I want to foster any co-dependent relationships where I'm viewed as the gringa who can fix all your money problems.   

Instead, I suggested we tell her that it doesn't matter if she wears glass slippers, sandals, or no shoes at all... Only that the presence of ALL princesses are requested to be in attendance.

Jennie kicked off her shoes and went right with it.  The kids AND mothers thought she was crazy, walking around with no zapatos on the dirty pathways... but I could tell by the quiet smile Julenny wore that this example and act of kindness and humility touched her little heart.  

A relief came over Julenny's face... she could go to the ball after all!

That afternoon, Jennie met with a group of mothers and shared her heart and passion for equipping parents with tools in how to help guard the purity in their childrens' hearts.  Not only this, but she ministered to the mothers as a wife, encouraging them in their relationships with their husbands as their children will ultimately model their lives after and pursue that which is familiar to them.  

Jennie explaining the importance of having a clean heart through an object lesson with a cup that's clean on the outside but dirty on the inside.


It was such a beautiful time.  Every mother went away with their very own "Five Doors of the Heart" poster and a small heart key for every heart in their family they are to guard- their children, husband, grandchildren, and selves included. It surely built excitement for what was to come the following day... especially when we shared if they wanted to hear the story of The Princess and the Kiss, they'd have to come to the ceremony with their princesas and escuderos!

 A few of the mothers


Rafa with her poster and keys to her family's hearts

Friday afternoon with the mothers came and went, and before I knew it, Saturday afternoon was upon us! Between running around to get the 4 lbs of cake, sodas, cups, plates, napkins, and cake topper (which we didn't end up using), setting up the location with balloons and streamers, transporting 30 chairs from the local church and putting them in order, and flying back home to get dressed and ready... it was time to start the festivities!

Now, it was quite humorous when we strolled in 45 minutes late.  I figured I was doing good for Dominican time; however, the girls and boys all began singing the tune "Llega tarde la tortuga otra vez" *clap-clap-clap*... in other words, "The turtle arrives late once again"... I took it in stride, curtsying and receiving their applauds as I announced my official entrance as a true Dominicana. 

We prayed and then I introduced our special guest, the author of the beloved books we've been reading, Jennie Bishop. She retold the tale once more to the girls and boys, encouraging their involvement in the storytelling, as my dear friend Rebeca translated. 

After this, we moved on to the crowning and special recognition of the princesas and escuderos who had learned the significance of guarding the purity within their hearts. 

We began with the princesses.  I first called Madelin and the crowd broke into thunderous applause, as they did for every princess that followed.  Placing the crown upon her head, I realized I forgot to set the stage for the special gift they would be receiving.  I asked for Madelin's forgiveness as I shared this important piece of information before we proceeded.

From the very first day I went out to Loma de los Chivos, the girls inquired of my ring.  It's a claddagh ring, which in Celtic tradition holds meaning in the manner it is worn.  



From the beginning, I shared with the girls that it was given to me by my father as it is part of our heritage.  If worn with the heart facing outward on my right hand, it signifies my heart is open for love.  If worn with the heart towards me on the same hand, I'm currently dating someone and my heart is no longer open.  If worn on the left hand when the heart is facing outward, it signifies I'm engaged, and when the heart is turned inward, it signifies I'm married and my heart is forever open to only one person, my husband.  

However, as this ministry has unfolded, God has brought revelation to me that this ring means so much more.  As soon as the girls began asking about it, it turned from a ring signifying that my heart is open and ready for love to my heart is in the hands of the King of kings... and as His daughter, I'm a princess with a crown upon my head.  The girls have always loved this ring for that very explanation.

Well, I had met with a very special group of women in Oviedo, FL while I was back home during the holidays and mentioned my hope of giving every girl their very own ring.  Immediately, they all agreed that they would like to donate 30 rings for this ceremony... and my princesas were completely unaware! 

Madelin beaming with anticipation for what I was explaining!


So, as I explained the new meaning of this ring to the girls and their families at the ceremony, I took Madelin's hand, placed a ring on her finger, and spoke Psalm 45:11 over her...

"El rey esta cautivado por tu hermosura; El es tu SeƱor; inclinate ante El." 
"The king is captivated by your beauty.  He is your Lord, bow down before Him."

I did this with every princess and it was perhaps the most sacred part of the evening for me. It was both a privilege and an honor to speak the Father's words over His daughters and to place a ring upon their fingers.  It was not a promise ring to guard their purity, but a ring declaring that they belong to the King of kings and He is Lord of their heart.


Maria del Carmen receiving her ring


Crismiely receiving her ring


After each girl was crowned and given a ring, they walked over to Jennie to receive their very own copy of La Princesa y El Beso. What joy! For many of these girls, this is the very first book they've ever owned.


Jennie with Rosaura

When Julenny came up to be crowned, I remembered her predicament the day before.  I looked down to see the brightest pair of Big Bird-yellow shoes you'd ever seen... and she was breathtakingly beautiful. I made sure to tell her how stunning her shoes were, just like Cinderella's.  She blushed and timidly smiled.

The daylight was rapidly fading away so we had to hurry and recognize our young squires.  A few days before, God put it in my mind to ask a friend if we could use his sword (yes, he owns a real sword)... and more than that, if he would stand in as a Knight of the Lantern of the Purest Light (just like in the story we had been reading) and actually knight each young squire.  He agreed!

All the boys were called to line up at one time.  My friend, Luis, explained to them in all seriousness the task that laid before them, that chiefly being to be protectors of the light within them and to protect their village, families, and fellow princesses and sisters in Christ. After each squire was knighted (with a real sword!) they, too, were given crowns and their very own copy of El Escudero y El Pergamino, and a shield to remind them of their task.

 Knight Luis explaining to the young squires their high calling


Luis knighting escudero Kelvin into "el orden del farol de la purisima luz"


It had been my prayer for months that the Lord would stir up a royal significance in these children's hearts, and I am believing God did just that.

These princesses walked away with an anointed word lingering in the air around them, declaring that the King is captivated by their beauty.

These young squires walked away being knighted by a knight with a sword! How stinkin' cool!

And beyond that... to have the author of their favorite books come to share in this glorious celebration, to meet her face-to-face, to hug her, and to be personally handed a book by her... I'd say that all lines up with the word of God in Ephesians 3:20.

Of course, the weekend wouldn't be complete without a royal book signing! Jennie and I returned Sunday afternoon with pen in hand to personally sign each book.  When we arrived, we discovered that many of the girls had written thank you letters to both Jennie and myself, and each card was read aloud.

Marie Ester reading one of the thank-you cards


When Julenny's card was read, the mother reading it made sure we knew that Julenny dictated every word that was written.  Julenny is 9 years old but doesn't know yet how to read or write, which, unfortunately, is not uncommon in the rural areas of the DR.  As her thank you was read aloud, we all were profoundly impacted by her eloquent wording.

"You wrote that?" Jennie asked Julenny, the girl who just two days before said she wouldn't be able to attend the ball for lack of shoes.

Julenny nodded her head and smiled at Jennie.

"You have a gift... You could be an author and write books one day."  Jennie emphatically said as she intently locked eyes with Julenny.  This petite 9 year old took it all in with a big smile.


Jennie signing Julenny's book


Jennie with escuderos Misael and Bilande


A few of the princesas and escuderos being silly with Jennie


As Jennie and I were saying our goodbyes, Julenny came up to me, wrapped her little arms around me, and jumping with excitement, exclaimed, "I'm going to be an author! I'm going to write books! Jennie said it!"

It took everything in me not to cry at that moment.  Why? Because I had been praying and praying for months that God would give this little girl a dream.  When I ask the girls what they'd like to be when they grow up,  Julenny would always shy away from answering and shrug her shoulders.  For this little girl who struggles with reading and has been told by those living around her that she's stupid and won't be anything in life, to now have a dream to write books one day... only God could do that.  He answered my prayer and put a new song in her mouth! (Psalm 40:3)

Only God could put this book in my hands to read to these girls at just the right time.  Only God could connect us with the author.  And only God could bring the author down to a small village in the Dominican Republic to meet her readers.  Only God! And it only took a few words to make a lasting impact in a child's life.  

Stories continue to come out of this supernatural weekend and I know the Kingdom work God is doing in the lives of these princesas and escuderos has only just begun. 




No comments:

Post a Comment